From the composer of Wicked, Godspell features the popular hit “Day by Day”, plus a captivating range of songs inspired by diverse musical genres.
What would you do? It’s 20th century New York. Your life is spent on the streets. You meet a charismatic stranger who teaches about love. Teaches tolerance through games and improvisation. Teaches kindness through rock, gospel, folk and vaudeville. Do you choose to break away from society to follow him? Or do you choose to stay and conform?
Godspell was performed from 25th-28th October 2017 at the Oakwood Centre, Woodley.
Conceived and originally directed by John-Michael Tebelak; music and new lyrics by Stephen Schwartz; originally produced on the New York stage by Edgar Lansbury/Stuart Duncan/Joseph Beruh. This amateur production of Godspell was presented by special arrangment with Samuel French, Ltd.
Godspell was directed by Wendy Carne, assisted by Kazia Grainger and Catherine Hannan, with musical direction by Cameron Baker, choreography by Denise Schult and lighting design by Kim Hollamby.
The Sainsbury Singers are very proud to announce that their production of Godspell won 2 District NODA Awards: The Joe Putnam Award for Best Musical and The Kathleen Oyler Award for Best Chorus Work!
Read our full NODA report of Godspell here.
What the audience said
Wonderful singing and great acting really brought St Matthew’s Gospel to life. A thoroughly enjoyable evening, just as good as when I saw Godspell in London with David Essex in 1972!
What a terrific show! Beth and I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. Many congratulations to the whole cast, to Wendy, Cam and Denise, to the lighting and stage crews, to costumes, makeup, scenery and props and anyone I’ve missed out.
I really loved the show – such a feel good factor about it, and it transported me back to a previous era! I thought the pianist was totally amazing – what a find!
Well done cast and crew! What a fabulous show! Enjoyed it so much I’m coming again on Saturday evening!
Show was brilliant – so high energy with great choreography and so much variety and the second act was very moving. We loved it.
Massive congratulations on last night’s godspell show, you guys are incredibly precise and all that hard work really paid off! There were some really tricky melodies and harmonies so frequently and you sang it beautifully with incredible balance of voices and tongue in cheek moments. Have a fab rest of show week and thanks so much for letting me come and see you in action!
Awesome, everyone. On the Willows takes me out like a bowling bowl; Cameron has clearly worked magic with you in rehearsal, the band has relaxed into the venue really nicely now and what a great musical ensemble you all make. Lovely to see the newest members take such an active and well delivered roles and notable examples of existing members going up a notch too. All of the leads and cameos all over the stage – you stay in character the whole time.
Well done on an awesome first night! The songs were brilliant, such an amazing sound. Loved Lorraine and Helen’s duet. You were all fabulous darlings! Enjoy the rest of the week.
Congratulations to everyone involved in Godspell. I thought the production was incredibly powerful, the whole audience were completely absorbed in the show throughout (especially during an emotional act two – even a robot like me had a sniffle). Every single person on stage maintained character so well throughout. The harmonies sounded great, the costumes and staging were effective and the lighting was amazing. Enjoy the remaining shows. Well done to all.
We really enjoyed the performance this evening. I thought the production worked really well and the choreography was magnificant.
The show was fantastic! It didn’t feel like it was a show done by an amateur cast.
There was not a passenger on stage, it was a cast full of principals. Everyone I had in tonight loved it! How fortunate you are to have so many talented new cast members.
Amazing – well done to everyone! I really didn’t know what to expect but I loved it! It really highlighted how many talented people we have as every single person was constantly acting and reacting, getting involved, playing different instraments. The sound you made as a chorus was incredible! Well done!!
- Jesus Stephen Cox
- John the Baptist/Judas Brian Bretney
- Herb Rob Latimer
- Jeffery Chris Thomas
- Lamar Gareth Wells
- Robin Emma Reeves
- Joanne Martyna Sharma
- Peggy Helen Thomas
- Gilmer Lorraine Cox
- Sonia Jessamy Vincent
- Chorus Godfrey Chigona, Federico Donati, Kazia Grainger, Catherine Hannan, Emily Hiscock, Steve Jewell, Hilary Latimer, Louise Quelch, Hannah Scarisbrick-Rowe, Denise Schult, Michael Schult, Claire Wilson.
The Godspell Band
- Keyboard Cameron Baker
- Guitars Dave Juergens
- Bass Guitar Jim Pullen
- Drums Julian Bown
Behind the Scenes
- Director Wendy Carne
- Assistant Directors Kazia Grainger, Catherine Hannan
- Choreographer Denise Schult
- Musical Director Cameron Baker
- Lighting Designer Kim Hollamby
- Lighting Technician Louis Martin
- Lighting Operator Becca Simons
- Stage Manager John Simmonds
- Deputy Stage Manager Jackie Stoffels
- Stage Crew Joe Daniels
- Lighting and Effects Equipment Hire Dinrino Theatre Services
- Additional Lighting Equipment Kim Hollamby
- Props and Set Kazia Grainger & Wendy Carne
- Wardrobe Team Amanda Bretney & Emma Reeves
- Makeup Catherine Hannan & Rachel Sargeant
- Hair and Wigs Catherine Hannan
- Rehearsal Prompt Jo O’Mahoney
- Prompt Jo O’Mahoney & Lynn Hatton
- Displays Marketing Team and Emma Reeves
- Webmaster Kim Hollamby
- Website Content Manager Katie Wise
- Marketing Team Emma Bradbury, Kazia Grant, Louise Quelch, Denise Schult, Katie Wise
- Programme and Handbill Design Jessamy Vincent
- Publishing Manager Jessamy Vincent
- Photography Ray Wilmott
- Fundraising Team Rob Latimer, Michael Schult, Kerry Thomas
- Social Team Stephen Cox, Catherine Hannan, Chris Reeves, Emma Reeves
Society Front of House Team
- Ticket Officer Anne Jones
- Front of House Manager John Jones
- Front of House Liaison Michael Schult
- Head Usher/Fire Marshall Patrick Bretney
- First Aider Lucy Hutson
- Front of House Volunteers Emma Bradbury, Maria Carratt, Rob Furnell, Sammy Maslen-Leese, Rachel Masters, Chris Reeves, Matt Smith & Katie Wise.